So it’s a week into the new year and if you’re like most people you might be feeling overwhelmed keeping up with your new year resolution, the back-to-work excitement ran out, or the good news shared by others is making your life feel dull. Don’t fret. Follow these 5 easy steps back on the road to positivity and happiness!
- Make a list. Write down the things that you are grateful for and things that make you smile. You will be shocked at how long the list is. It is natural for us to get down on ourselves – maybe it’s a goal we didn’t reach, or something we’ve done that we wish we didn’t do – regardless, there are way more positive things going on in your life to let one thing bring you all the way down. For starters, you woke up today. Write that down.
- Spend time alone. Okay, this one sounds strange. Think about it though, how many times have you been brought down by others. Coworkers complaining, your boyfriend whining, and your bff’s latest rant. Hello, can a girl just be happy? Sometimes spending QT time with yours truly is just what the doctor ordered. Grab a book or pop in your fav flick and just do what you want to do. Nobody can bring you down when you’re in your own little world.
- Spend time with friends and family. Wait, am I contradicting the last statement? Nope! Sometimes being alone is necessary and other times you need your favorite people to pick you up! Call your brother, mom, roommate or friend and go to the movies, or lunch, or just hang out and chat. Laughs are sure to be a part of whatever you do and laughter is contagious.
- Don’t take it personally. A lot of times our negative emotions are actually caused by others – whether it is listening to someone complain about their life or someone taking out their anger and emotions on you – it never fails to create pessimism in ourselves and bring us down in the dumps. Remind yourself that just because someone else is feeling bad/sad, does not mean that you have to. If you were having a great day before you were emotionally interrupted, then continue in your own path of happiness.
- Work out. Yep, as overplayed and cliche as it sounds, it’s a surefire way to keep you happy. When you exercise your body releases chemicals called endorphins and these interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception and pain. Endorphins can also trigger a positive feeling in the body which will ultimately leave you feeling more positive and happier post workout. Who’s ready to hit the gym?
So there you have it. 5 extremely easy things you can do when you’re feeling any negative emotions creeping in. I can’t promise you won’t ever feel defeated, but I can promise it will always be temporary! There is so much to be thankful for that makes our life so wonderful. Make sure you share the love!